Saturday 5 February 2011

A COUPLE OF SPECIAL INTERIORS SHOPS: Part 1

I had a checklist of places I was supposed to go visit while in LA.  After 2 weeks lying in the sun in Mexico, weirdly, I'd seem to have lost the ability to focus my mind on anything particularly strenuous, so there are still quite a few interiors showrooms that I would like to see.  Just have to go back to LA again later this year ;).  Here are a couple of stores that I did manage to see that made an impression......

First up, SIGLO MODERNO.  Owned by the lovely Jorge, he's only recently set up on Melrose Avenue, and is nicely tucked in between the powerhouses of Alexander McQueen and Bisazza Tiles.  He has lots of gorgeous things on show from furniture to lighting, rugs to ceramics.  Vintage and modern sit happily next to each other.  The Mid-Mod style is as big in LA as it is in England and it was interesting to see how it works here.  I spied some things that I would happily have popped in my suitcase if I'd had the space........

I loved this this a little too much.  Kept staring at it every time I came back in the store.  It's a weaving artwork by 1960's San Diego artist Edith Zimmer.  About 4ft in height and full of texture and colour.  Should be above my bed.....

These were really fun too.  1960s Swedish ceramic lamp bases.  Gorgeous colour and shape.  They are sold minus the shade - I rather like them as they are....

 The original reason for coming in to the store was to see the work of artist Inghua Ting of TING LONDON.  She has come up with this fantastic idea of leather belt flooring.  Not cheap to produce obviously as it's a bespoke service, but the finished look is very unique.  I am planning to use it on a couple of upcoming projects if I can persuade the clients to go with it - fingers crossed!

 I did actually manage to do a bit of work while I was here.  Sourced a chair for my friend's apartment - a great 'Siesta' chair and ottoman by Igmar Relling for Westnofa.  It's a classic piece and looked great in it's new home.

That's it for today.  Part II tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment