Sunday 20 March 2011

A DAY OUT IN DULWICH....

Popped down to Dulwich today to meet with my old friends Nick and Ian, to visit the Midcentury Modern show at Dulwich College.  Run by my lovely friend Lucy, it's always a popular draw.   All started well with an early lunch/late brunch from the delicious gourmet Mexican Taco Truck.  Having devoured that, had a quick catch up with the said lovely Lucy and then headed in to see what was on offer.  As usual, everywhere I looked there were chairs that I wanted to take home.  Dining, occasional, desk, you name it, I want it.  I have an unhealthy obsession with chairs, rugs, throws, blankets and cushions.  The key was to move through the show at a steady speed, not lingering too long over anything that I knew I would want to own. But then of course it winked at me........

I love Pierre Jeanneret.  The shape, the materials, the simplistic style.  Perfect.  I managed to leave without the chairs so if you're interested check them out at Desirable Design. 

We bumped in to the super creative Rupert Blanchard who created some visual display pieces for the Melrose & Morgan Hampstead shop which I designed last year.  He was showing his unique work and it seems like he'd had a busy day with lots of orders which was good to hear.  More can be seen at the Barbican at the moment so head down if you're in the mood for a purchase.

Wandering on through the crowds I noticed that Mini Moderns were showing.  I've seen their work in the press quite a lot recently and like the 50s inspired look of their products.  Particularly like the wallpaper ranges - this one would be really good for a children's room I think. See more products on their website.


Having had our fill of fashionable furniture we strolled over the park to the Dulwich Picture Gallery. I rarely get down here but it's always a pleasure.  A good collection of heavyweight paintings and this time round there was the added bonus of a Norman Rockwell exhibition.  I know he's seen as a bit cheesy by some, but I was interested to see what his work was like in reality.  Well worth seeing, particularly the earlier and later works.  This one really struck me.  I love the attention to detail and the hint of bright yellow on the backs of the chairs mixed with the punch of burnt orange of the table.


A good day out all in all and tomorrow is the first day of Spring - things are on the up.

Oh, and if you want to see some great Mid Mod furniture, head to the next Midcentury Modern show which will be held at Lord's Cricket Ground in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment