Friday 16 September 2011

AL_A and RONAN & ERWAN BOUROULLEC kick off the fun and games of LONDON DESIGN FESTIVAL

London Design Festival officially starts tomorrow but I was itching to get out and see some of the installations already on display and are on my hit list of 'must sees' of the week.

A gorgeous Indian summer September day in London meant there was no excuse not to get the bike out and cycle down through Hyde Park (my favourite green space) to the V&A, the hub venue for this years festival.  I peddled gently down in the warm sun and arrived at the exact moment they were taking the barriers down on the incredible installation Timber Wave by architects AL_A.   So, I had the pleasure of getting up close and personal with just one other, the lovely interiors write Barbara Chandler who I'd never met before but thought was rather fabulous.  Anyway, back to business.....how bloody gorgeous is this piece! Built from red oak, 12 metres in diameter and 3 storeys high, it's a truly beautiful feat of engineering. 


When I'd stop marveling over Tidal Wave, I scooted inside the V&A, side-stepping groups of bag dragging students and headed straight for Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec's Textile Field.  The Bouroullec boys, both of which I'd marry in a shot if they asked, were invited to create a design intervention anywhere in the V&A and they chose the Raphael Court, which houses 7 enormous works by Raphael.  The contrast between the work of a Renaissance great and a 21st century pair of design masters is spectacular.   Undulating Kvadrat bright fabrics create a kind of massive lounging platform and you can't help but kick off your shoes and lie down and have a little 'me' time. 

These are open to all to visit, for FREE, two things I really approve of.  So GO!

LONDON DESIGN FESTIVAL 17-25 September 2011

1 comment:

  1. When you say red oak, do you mean - Quercus rubra or Quercus borealis ?

    ReplyDelete